Monday, February 22, 2010

10 days "late"

The last 10 days have been an emotional roller coaster. I didn't realize how fixated I was on a due date. June, our Midwife, has been preparing us the entire pregnancy to go at least 10 days past our estimated due date- I heard her but apparently I didn't really listen. I've swung between being ok with it "it's a natural process, everything will happen as it should" and "what is wrong! where is the baby (insert sobbing) I need the baby to come out right now!."
This morning I did some reading to remind myself that gestation is 38-42 weeks and even though I am 10 days "late" according to my due date, I still have 4 more days before the baby would be considered overdue. We had a sonogram late last week and the baby is doing very well, thriving. The placenta is healthy, the cord is functioning well, everything is normal and healthy. Those tests concluded that Mama is healthy, Tiny is healthy and there is no reason to worry or to take any kind of action towards induction.
Part of my struggle has been that I have spent the entire pregnancy thinking about the physical demands of labor and birth. Preparing mentally to take that on with vigor and enthusiasm. I've read it's the most challenging physical activity you will ever endure, it's like running a marathon, etc. I am completely prepared to face that- my body is strong, I'm confident with my physical capabilities, I trust the birthing process, etc. I'm used to taking on physical challenges. But I did not spend timing preparing for the emotional toll of waiting for that process to start. I guess that's how life works- Things come up for you that challenge you in the ways that you didn't expect. You know that in the end you will grow from it, that you will become a better person for working through it, but boy does it suck when you are in the middle of it.